11/7/08

Dried beans series


I am trying to use more dry beans in my cooking, but it seems that almost every recipe calls for canned beans. Canned beans are very convenient, but they are also more expensive. I am incorporating dry beans into my food storage because they are cheaper and take up less room, but now that I'm storing them, I guess I need to start using them!

I will do a series on dried beans in the next several days to help encourage myself and others to save money and use the dry beans we may already have.

Momzoo
has also been posting some great tips on using dry beans lately, including some yummy-looking recipes. Be sure to check out her information too!

If you have posted any information or recipes using beans (or do so in the next few days), let me know and I'll include your link in this series. Recipes featuring dry or canned beans are acceptable. If you have any questions or suggestions, also please let me know and I'll try to cover them.

10 comments:

  1. My husband's family was just talking about learning how to cook with our food storage, namely dried beans. My SIL sent me a couple of recipes, one's for fudge made out of beans...she swears they taste good. If you would like me to email them to you just leave me a comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can make using dried beans easy by canning them yourself in a pressure cooker- Then when your stash starts to run low you can just use the cans again to do another batch-

    We just made carb-free brownies with black beans but I wouldn't recommend them... although my husband really liked them. Maybe if you used 1/2 beans instead of the flour instead of all beans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to cook a big batch in my crock pot and freeze them. Then I just use the frozen bean in place of canned beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We like to make re-fried beans in the crock pot. Its really easy. If you want the recipe, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We eat a lot of beans and usually I buy them canned. I do have quite a bit of dried beans on hand though - and my favorite is a mix of 12 different kinds of beans. Cooked up with some onion/carrot/celery and some kielbasa (and a can of Bean/Bacon soup) - it tastes great!

    I'll be interested in learning more about cooking with dried beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just don't like beans. I wish I did, because they're pretty nutritious. THey're just to mealy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited about this series! I have been trying to use more dried beans too but haven't been feeling very confident. I can't wait to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi-go see my blog marilynmomof7.blogspot.com. I have been canning my own beans this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am enjoying your focus on dry beans. Thanks for putting it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my recipe calls for 4 cans of black eyed peas undrained, so how much liquid would I use per can? I'm thinking maybe 1/3 cup?

    ReplyDelete