10/27/08

Planting bulbs


Saturday, I planted 95 bulbs in my front yard: crocus, daffodil, and hyacinth. Last spring when we moved in, I was a bit disappointed to see that not one flower had been planted in our yard in the three years since the house has been built. Our subdivision is newer, and most houses just have the one tree and five bushes that they came with.

Many people in our neighborhood, when they decide to get a bit fancier with their landscaping, just plant more bushes. Then they cover the dirt with sharp gray gravel. Not my style. I'd rather have colorful flowers, even if it is a bit more work.

I started having second thoughts after I started planting the bulbs. Our soil is clay and so compact that I bent my small shovel several times--on the dirt, not the rocks. My hands are still sore, but I finished!

Now I can't wait until spring. Meanwhile, I purchased an amaryllis to grow indoors. I'm hoping to get it to bloom around Christmas.

11 comments:

  1. 95 blubs! Spring time is going to be so beautiful at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! I hope you'll post a picture of your beautiful flowers in the spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love flowers but they are definitely more work. They don't survive our heat real well but I'm a bush [with flowers] & mulch sort of person anyway~ not gravel. We use cattle cane to keep the soil cool in summer & warm in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love flowers, too. I love when they start popping up in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment,I love making aprons,I am working on another,
    sounds like you will have a lovely garden come spring 95 bulbs!!
    it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! I hope they all bloom. The squirrels always eat mine (except the daffodils anyway, they hate those!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can, they are so very easy,
    I started simple and got better,this next one will be the best so far.
    looking forward to seeing pics of your garden come spring

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bulbs! I need more spring bulbs, all I have are a handful of daffodils, jonquils, and some crocus. My favorite though are the day lilies and oriental and asiatic lilies I have all throughout the garden. They make it very easy to have beautiful color.

    My neighbors all lay down the black tarp stuff and then put bark on top of it. My hubby wants me to do that, but I think it looks terrible, plus imagine trying to tarp around every bulb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love flowers too. I can't stand yards that are all bushes or green ground color. Give me color, lots of color. I bet it will look so beautiful and you will be the envy of the neighborhood.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're going to have the most colorful yard on the block! I think that's wonderful. I should plant some tulip bulbs. I love tulips. I guess I'm just intimidated by bulbs though. OUr dirt is pretty hard too. I want to plant a tree in the backyard, but I dread trying to dig a hole big enough in the (rock) dirt for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like color too. That is one of the reason we ripped out all the ivy after we moved in.
    There are some bulbs in my beds but I want to plant more. They are very scattered and need to be filled in.

    ReplyDelete