10/6/08

How to use green tomatoes part 2: Yellow split pea and green tomato stew


I came across a great site that had a green tomato recipe contest last year, and this recipe looked right up my alley. Only problem is I didn't have any of the seasoning ingredients, nor was I even familiar with them.

Well, no matter. Adding spices is the fun part, and it's even more fun when you have to improvise! Here's my version of this great recipe. It ended up tasting much better than I had hoped, and I am now planning to freeze a bunch of our tomatoes so we can make this more often throughout the year. It is bright and tangy, with a pleasing bright yellow color.


Yellow Split Pea and Green Tomato Stew (based on this)

5 cups water
3/4 cup yellow split peas
4 cups chopped green tomatoes
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
1/2 teaspoon red curry paste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 - 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
salt to taste

Bring water and split peas to a boil. Cook until tender, 30-40 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes or more, until mixture reduces and thickens.

Serve over rice.

4 comments:

  1. You know, when I was in Oklahoma years ago...we'd always stop at a split pea soup cafe. They love split pea soup there. They also eat black-eyed peas for good luck on the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love split pea soup!! Never thought of trying it with tomatoes, but I bet it's delicious.
    I'm loving this series you're doing on green tomatoes. I'm learning a lot! thanks!
    ps thanks for the vinegar info. I feel much better!

    ReplyDelete