10/2/08

Harvest


I went out to the garden to pick everything yesterday because the weather has turned cold and nothing is turning ripe.

I was pleasantly surprised. We had oodles of green tomatoes, far more than I had thought, but there were actually some ripe ones. Also two huge surprise cucumbers and one tiny pepper, both hidden by the massive tomato vines.

The ripe tomatoes, cucumber, and pepper, along with some garden basil and a pantry onion, soaked in a vinegar-water-salt brine all afternoon, made a very nice accompaniment to dinner.

10 comments:

  1. Your harvest picture looks so good! Congrats on the healthy garden :) I love your blog and FHE info too. We use the lessons even on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy!
    Do you ever make green tomato relish? Or any of the other green tomato recipes? I'm going to have a lot of them, I think, and I'm looking for suggestions. My husband already told me I couldn't just feed them to the chickens, like I'd planned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a green tomato relish recipe on my blog. I posted it back in March. It was my grandma's and it is some of the best stuff ever! I can't wait to make it, I'm wishing I had more green tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny you should ask, Bethany, I'm planning a short series on green tomatoes very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the perfect time for it, right? All those green tomatoes, just hanging there... little suspecting what's in store for them when the frosts come. I keep looking at them all and wishing I could just make them ripen. But my mom tells me that no matter how long I keep them in a box or on the window sill, they won't ripen if they're not at least a little pink before we bring them in.

    I'll look forward to your posts on using them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious! I love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. THIS looks good enough to eat.

    ReplyDelete