I picked up Essentials of Home Production and Storage a few years ago. It was published in 1978 by the LDS Church and it is packed with counsel, advice, and practical instructions on general preparedness, gardening, storage, and sewing. It gives very specific lists on items, especially non-food items, that are useful to store. It also has an array of basic, useful recipes that you can make using food storage items such as wheat and powdered milk. It's so packed that it seems to have so much more information than its 30 pages contained.

Here is a quote from the book by Spencer W. Kimball that I liked:

"[We teach] personal and family preparedness as 'provident living.' This implies the husbanding of our resources, the wise planning of financial matters, full provision for personal health, and adequate preparation for education and career development, giving appropriate attention to home production and storage as well as the development of emotional resiliency."


4 Comments

  1. I think I have one of those books around here somewhere. I don't know that I've really looked at it, though. I'll have to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-I have one of those! I was actually a homemaker in those days too! (i'm old!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that book and love it, too! In fact, I could reach it from where I'm sitting. It's a good one to keep close at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wondering about this precise thing during the hurricane evacuation. I was actually going to ask you. Looks like you've been up to some good blog posts while I've been away.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.