9/23/08

Roasted applesauce





Hmm. Two 68-cent five-pound bags of apples. A new, huge $5 roasting pan. A 25-cent copy of Martha Stewart Living (November 1998) from a library sale with a recipe for Roasted Applesauce. Some extra freezer space.

I gave this recipe a test run last week in a smaller quantity. I love the flavor the roasted apples take on. Roasting is so much simpler than boiling. Just throw the prepared apples in the oven and forget about them: no nutrients lost to boiling, no worry about the water boiling off. I couldn't help changing the recipe, both to make it simpler and to make it work with ten pounds of apples instead of just six apples. Here's what I did.

Roasted Apple Sauce

10 pounds apples, mixed varieties
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 heaping tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash your apples, core them, and cut them into eighths. Toss in a large roasting pan with remaining ingredients. Bake for 45 minutes, or until very soft. Remove from oven and put apples and liquid through food mill (a bowl with a non-slip bottom is convenient). If you don't have a food mill, peel the apples before roasting and pulverize in batches in the food processor. Add more cinnamon and sugar to taste, if desired.

---
This
recipe was originally posted November 10, 2007.

11 comments:

  1. looks great! Thanks for the recipe. I can alomost smell she apple cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living here in Apple Country, I'll keep that in mind. Our pastor and his wife always invite the congregation out to glean what is left from their small orchard. So this will come in handy.

    I know you have cut back on blog reading, but I think you'd appreciate my Urban Garden photos today. I found some pretty creative people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea, I had never thought of roasting apples like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds absolutely scrumptious! I have got to try this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm... my husband would love this! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MMMMMMMMM! Looks and sounds so yummy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter is an applesauce-o-holic. I'll have to do this. I'm thinking the peels will do well in my Vitamix blender. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you find five pound bags of apples for 68 cents?! I'm impressed with your shopping ability.

    I'm also intrigued by the idea that roasting will keep more nutrients in. I might have to try that with some of the apples I'm working through at the moment. I'm wondering if there's any taste difference, like maybe roasting might make the sauce sweeter because of carmelized sugars?

    That Martha... always with the good ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum yum yum!!!!!! I'm just waiting for some cheap apples so I can try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will definitely try this. My post was about canning fruit. I would like to try this with pears too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am bookmarking this! It sounds like a wonderful way to make applesauce easier. Does it taste any different?

    ReplyDelete