9/12/08

An impromptu week without groceries


This week ended up being another of my weeks without groceries, even though I never planned it that way. I was supposed to go last Saturday, but we still had plenty of food, and I just didn't feel like it. I thought I'd go Tuesday night, and then yesterday, but I didn't want to leave my family, we were having such a good time together. I'm so happy that I know now that we can get along so well without constant trips to the store.

I've had so much fun trying to use up what's in the fridge. I learned a lot from my past experiment, and one of the things that I learned is that I shouldn't ration and "save" refrigerated items, because they will spoil, especially fruits and veggies. I've also noticed that I'm more careful about wasted food--for example, I've started giving Red Chief smaller portions and then giving him more if he still wants it.

Here's what I made for dinner this week:
  • Pigs in blankets with hot dogs from the freezer and fluffy yeast dough on the outside. I stuffed the hot dogs with cheese, which was popular with Red Chief. We also had fries and green beans from the freezer.
  • Crustless spinach quiche with homemade gingerbread
  • Really yummy chicken quinoa soup made with a pot of broth I had in the fridge; cabbage, celery, carrots, and ginger that were going downhill; leftover chicken; and leftover savory lemon sauce. I actually tried to write down what I put in it after the fact because it was so amazingly good. I served toast with this, but really, it was a meal in itself.
  • A quick fry-up based on this recipe with the rest of the wilting cabbage, a pepper from the fridge, and some sausage from the freezer. Served over the last of our brown rice.
I love having a full pantry; everything we need is at our fingertips, and we're less dependent on trips to the grocery store so I can do better things like spend time with my family. I am so grateful for the abundance with which we are blessed!

9 comments:

  1. yes, we are so abundently blessed.

    I liked my skip-a-trip so much I think I am going to regularly do them (maybe twice or three times a year). I learned so much.

    I am waiting until my chicken lay tons and tons of eggs because I want to try your quiche recipe...but I am becoming to impatitent, I just might have bite the bullet and buy eggs...it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful! The meals sound good too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did an unintentional week without groceries too. I am still getting the hang of having the little 3 month old I am babysitting around. It is more difficult to get things done with him around so I just never made it to the grocery store. Although, I was really craving tacos last night and we had no lettuce or tomato so we went out to eat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't do a major shopping trip this week, but made two trips to pick up a few things.
    I love your creativity. Let's see, I've got a pound of ground round and probably 2 pounds of chicken in the freezer, that could probably get me through next week. My pantry is pretty well stocked. I'll have to see how creative I can get. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always go grocery shopping and then when I am start to unload I realize how much I really have. So, I would like to get the nerve to a challenge of eating out of my pantry and freezer until I can't no more. I would still save my grocery budget in an envelope so that I could restock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You passed the test. Woo hoo! I'm always thankful for the non-emergency reminders of whether I am prepared or not. Just hearing from those where the storm is hitting and the hard time they are having finding essentials makes me so thankful that we have a church that has taught us to be prepared and that if "ye are prepared ye need not fear."
    Have a great week. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a very large grocery trip with a few luxuries and a little stocking up this week, and ended up spending a good portion of the month's grocery budget. Ben was a little concerned, but then I started listing all of the things I knew we have in the pantry that I could use to make meals for weeks. Shamefully, I'm not even very organized, so there's probably even more than I can list from memory. It's pretty fun to just not go to the store sometimes, isn't it? Sometimes, it actually perks me up to think about how much I've learned about homemaking in order to make good meals from the freezer and pantry.

    I enjoyed reading your menu, and I'd love to learn more about how you use quinoa. I've got a bunch that Ben bought, but I'm unsure of how to cook and use it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The meals sound great! Glad you were able to go without a trip! I try, but something always comes up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you visited mommysecrets this week, so I could stumble upon your blog. I love the challenge of using food in the frig/freezer/pantry. It reminds me to be creative & flexible in the kitchen!

    Hope you love the salmon!

    ReplyDelete