8/25/08

Quite a day

Little Mr. Mordecai

Last Monday morning, a few minutes after I had sent Mr. Mordecai off to work on his bike, I got a phone call from a nice lady, saying that my husband had run into her garbage can, and he was lying on her couch, and could I please come pick him up?

When I got there, I found Mr. Mordecai in a worse state than I had expected, and it turned out that he had broken his right collarbone and his left little finger. I also found that he hadn't exactly hit her garbage can head on, as I had pictured. As he was going around it, the side of his handlebar had clipped it, and that was enough to send him flying.

He was in a pretty bad state, so we quickly drove the two miles back home, made arrangements for Red Chief to stay with a kind neighbor, and took Mr. Mordecai down to the hospital.

Several hours later, we emerged triumphant, Mr. Mordecai feeling much better in a brace and sling and with his hand all wrapped up. He currently has the use of three fingers.

After we got back home and started resettling ourselves, we examined the helmet that he had been wearing, and found quite a crack in the side of it. It is startling to think that that could have been his head! I am so grateful that I have never had to nag him to wear his helmet, and that he was wearing it, as always, the day of his encounter with the garbage can.

Life is very full for me just now, as I'm sure you can imagine. I hope you won't grudge me taking a week or two off from the computer. I will be checking my email (and will receive comments on this blog through it), but that's it.

I hope to be back in a few weeks, refreshed. And I can already guarantee a good long post about Red Chief, as he's definitely acting his age!

21 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that must ahve been quite a shock!

    I look forward to reading all aobut Red Chief when you get back to "normal".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness! I'm glad your hubby is ok! How nice of the neighbor to take him in and call you. I hope his recovery is fast-enjoy your time off! God bless-

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Scary! I am glad that he is O.K. I think that you must have been inspired to have been keeping on his case to wear the helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Mr. Mordecai will be better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. What an experience! Helmets are are wonderful thing. My husband gets on my case because I do not always wear mine. After reading this I think I will be better about wearing it.
    I hope Mr. Mordecai has a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My! I pray he heals quickly. My dad learned the value of protective gear when he crashed on his Harley. Glad your hubby is safe and the helmet did its job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers for a quick recovery. I don't know first hand, but I heard that a broken collarbone is very, very painful. Keep giving him meds! Hope all of your lives get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I can't believe that happened on a bike! I have three boys (four including my hubby) and sometimes I get so exuasted always telling them to put their helmets on(my three year old refuses). Sometimes I wonder if it is worth the battle but you just reashured me that it is. thanxs for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. Thank goodness for the helmet! Best wishes to your family as you go through this trial. I am sure his recovery will be speeded by your wonderful care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a shock! I hope that Mr. M will recover well. What a scary accident! We'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank goodness he was wearing a helmet! I hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I hope he gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That first paragraph made me laugh out loud!! I am sorry that your hubby got hurt though, makes you glad for those helmets.

    I will miss you on your little computer vacation, I hope all is well with you!

    Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope and pray that he recovers quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no! I hope that he heals quickly and isn't in too much pain.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for asking, Danielle. He's definitely improving and has more motion in his hands and arms now. We're confident that everything will be normal again in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad that he was wearing his helmet! Bless his heart. And his collarbone! ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad he's doing better. Have a happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope Mr. Mordecai is recovering well! I understand exactly how scary that can be for him, because I did the exact same thing with my bike and handlebar and a big trash can once. Thankfully, I didn't get injured. He definately has my sympathy. I hope you are doing okay as well. I know it can be pretty stressful to be the uninjured party as well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope that by the time you get this comment, hubby will be feeling better.
    That is just scary to think he would have been more seriously hurt with out his helmet!

    ReplyDelete