7/2/08

Ginger cookies


I learned a lot in college. Some things I didn't learn in classes. One important thing I learned is that cooking is a necessary part of life.

I could cook, yes, and I had a few faithful recipes, but it never really hit me until I moved away from home and started cooking for myself that ramen noodles and Pasta-Roni weren't going to keep me happy. At least not after I tasted my roommates' quiche, or soup and bread, or pie, at the Sunday dinners we shared.

At the end of the year before we parted ways, we exchanged recipes. Everyone had requests in mind, and this was one of my first.

This is my favorite, no-fail cookie recipe, and many people have requested it from me, including my grandmother. (I happily relived that moment in my head for weeks.)

Ginger Cookies

¾ cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
¼ cup molasses
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups flour

  1. Cream shortening, gradually adding sugar. Beat in egg, molasses, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
  2. Add flour to creamed mixture. Blend well.
  3. Roll into small balls; cover in sugar. Place 2” apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
  4. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

Makes 2-3 dozen.

14 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this one. My hubby LOVES ginger cookies, especially if you put lemon creme between two of them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look super good. Thanks for sharing. Are they crunchy or chewy cookies? I'm definately bookmarking this in my fall recipe folder (don't ask, I have very seasonal taste buds).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh now that looks good! You are the sweets queen this week!

    Glad your family is able to support you while not feeling well, rather than annoy you! :) I think I should send that on to my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those do look yummy! I have a long list of things I am baking this week, with birthdays and the holiday, but I will keep these in mind to try later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooohh yummy. I love Ginger Snaps, so if these are anything like them, I will definitely be adding it to my favorites. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bethany, these are chewy, and that's what I love most about them! They have a very strong ginger flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool cookies. Did you ever try dream whip cake?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! My roommates used to make that recipe all the time. I haven't made it yet, though; we're trying to cut down on sweets. I need some big gathering to bring it to, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, you are seriously not helping my hips! They sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy....I guess I know what my DS and I are doing tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooer they look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll have to try this one and hope that I don't butcher another great recipe. I fail often at ginger cookies which makes me so sad because I love them so!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yum, yum yum, I'm going to make some right now, toodoloo!

    ReplyDelete