6/3/08

Substituting fruit purees in baking


I just heard the best show on public radio on Saturday when I was driving around buying dirt, but that's another story. I wish I could credit the show, but I didn't catch the name. Anyway, here's what I learned.

You cannot substitute fruit purees (such as applesauce) for fat in a recipe when the recipe needs the fat for volume. So, if the recipe starts out with creaming the butter and sugar, for example, subbing's a no-go.

You can substitute fruit puree when the recipe calls for melted butter or oil. These are not used for volume. Do be aware, though, that it will make your recipe turn out more "cake-y." I just did it with my favorite brownie recipe yesterday and they weren't as dense, although still very good.

Good luck, and have fun experimenting!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think I learned this before, probably in one of my culinary arts classes. I don't use a lot of substitutes for fat anyway. Butter is what makes it taste so darn good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know! I wondered what the rules were- sometimes you can, sometimes you can't-
    Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made prune brownies the other day and they were most yummy. The prunes seemed to deepen the chocolatey flavor.

    Unfortunately, Peapod got into them when I was on the phone and ate bunches. That was one diaper I was happy not to change. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really good to know.

    Although it really, really made me crve brownies....yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I have the urge to bake a cake with some fruit puree! Great tip, and healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is good to know. I knew you could substitute, haven't really looked into actually doing it, though. Like Jeanette said, butter makes it taste so good! Too bad it is so fattening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very interesting. I've had it work for me sometimes, and sometimes had it completely fail. Now I know why!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read on everydayfoodstorage.net that you can do the same with bean puree.

    ReplyDelete