6/20/08

Food storage for beginners


A friend graciously shared a picture of her food storage with me. This is an example of what this can become when you add a little at a time over the years! Isn't it amazing?

Since she's obviously doing something right, I asked her for some tips, and here is what she has to say:
"I think my biggest tip would be to just start! We would pick a specific area to work on for a couple of months like canned soup or cereal- and every time we bought that item we would buy double what we actually needed.

"I think one of the things that helped us build up our storage the most was that we set aside extra money, and when we found a really good deal on something we used that money to buy a three or four month supply of that item all at once. Also when we get a bonus at work or unexpected money (like the recent government tax rebates) we always try to put a portion into our food storage.

"The trick now is remembering to replace items as we use them. I keep a sheet in my storage room and every time I remove something I write it down, so that I can make sure to replace it the next time that item goes on sale."

---

Helpful links:
Long-term food storage
Why store extra food?
Everyday food storage and preparation
How many cups in a pound of . . . ?

11 comments:

  1. Good advice. I still have a ways to go but it will look that good SOMEDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always admired this. Do you mind sharing why people in your faith do this? I'm not a member of your church, but I do still want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good question, Danielle. Basically, we keep things around because we believe in being prepared. I am a firm believer that if we are prepared, we will not fear.

    It's not that we want bad things to happen, but if you look around, there are a lot of terrible things happening around the world, whether natural disaster, war, or strikes, that could easily cut off our food supply.

    So, what it all boils down to is that I don't want to be dependent on the grocery store for my food. :)

    Also, I believe that we have living prophets on the Earth today, and they keep mentioning it. I think that when God repeats something so much, whether in the scriptures or through prophets, that it is pretty important.

    Here are some links:
    If Ye Are Prepared Ye Shall Not Fear
    Emergency Preparedness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for passing on the advice and links. This is something that is always on my mind and I am always trying to do better at. My biggist problem is rotating and keeping track of everything becuase it is spread all over my house. I have been brainstorming lately to figure out a better way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow... now that's impressive! i have been feeling led to start some serious food storage. that's kind of what got me going on the chickens, but now i want to at least have an ample supply of such things as rice, beans, wheat berries, sugar and some canned things. i will definitely be checking out the links you provided- thanks so much, honey:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the links, Mrs. M. I admire a lot about your church, including family home evening, too. But, in our house, family home evening is pretty much every evening except Wednesdays. My dh and I don't have a day off together, so we are together doing something every night of the week.
    As for being prepared, you're right. When I saw that saying about "If you are prepared, you will not worry", I thought of many things, not just food. I thought of money in the bank, and my "job search folder" which is composed of our updated resumes, names addresses and locations of places we'd look for jobs at, names and numbers of places for drop in childcare for interviews, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the post. I also wanted to make fure but I am adding you to my blog roll if that is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pantry is amazing! My grandma had quite the cellar of food, and I still can't wait to make her green tomato relish.

    Reminds me of that movie with Brendan Fraser, Blast from the Past. I love how they recreated not only their retro home, but their very own grocery. Ok that's a little off topic, but just made me think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been working on my food storage lately, too. It is amazing how it is having a changing effect on the way I am cooking, too. And it really does seem to become less daunting the more I get into do it. And even fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is some storage! I am way impressed with how well she has done in food storage.
    I've been asked to teach a class at Enrichment next month about food storage management. I am feeling very overwhelmed by the topic and the fact that they want it to be a 45 minute class!

    ReplyDelete