5/2/08

A week without groceries: links


The past week as I've been using up what we already have rather than buy more groceries, several articles have caught my attention. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one making do sometimes, and that I'm not the only one thinking about getting some food storage in order. I'm off to organize my pantry today so I know what I have!

-----

Pantry Organisation at Our Red House
"An orderly pantry is a huge advantage when it comes to 'shopping at home', which is the first step in preparing a menu plan or shopping list on a budget."

Depression Era Recipes: Tomato Soup Cake at The Sparrow's Nest
"Tomato Soup Cake was probably invented by a homemaker who needed to produce a dessert with little expense. I am certain she probably searched her cabinets, found a can of tomato soup, and became culinarily creative with it!"

A "Make-Do" Meal at Tomato Soup Cake
"
I had not quite enough of any one thing to make a decent breakfast...half a loaf of bread dough, a few eggs, a couple of slices of bacon, and a smattering of grated cheese."

Invest in Food at Like Merchant Ships
You may make better returns on your money by filling up your pantry than by filling up your short term bank account.

New Tips for Old Food at BYU Magazine
"Many dried foods—packaged to remove oxygen and kept at room temperature or below—will store well for 20–30 years or more."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the links.

    There is something so comforting in having food storage. I haven't been very dilligent in regards to my food storage, I only have about 3 months, but it is better than nothing! I have to tell you though I am kicking myself, wishing I had made it more of a priorty (like we have all be counceled) now that the food prices are going up, up, up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I was just looking at your Show and Tell, but then noticed this post. A site that I really have found helpful is recipematcher.com (I have no affiliation!) You spend a few minutes going through the lists of food they have, and check off all the items in your pantry. Then, you can click to see recipes which use those ingredients. It is amazing. It will together meals that you wouldn't have thought of, including breakfasts, baked goods, etc. It also shows other recipes that you have most of the ingredients for, and tells what you still need. It is so worth the time of entering in what you have! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete