5/1/08

Making snacks



We're out of Mr. Mordecai's favorite snack of granola bars, and the chocolate crinkles are gone, too. I made this date-walnut cake last night, and there's only one piece left. I can't believe how fast we go through snacks. Maybe I should make something yucky so it lasts longer.

Date-Walnut Cake
(my version)

3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Combine oats and boiling water in large bowl. Let sit until water is absorbed. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9" round pan.

Add brown sugar, honey, and oil to bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Add vanilla, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Add half the flour, the buttermilk, and then remaining flour. Fold in the dates, raisins, and walnuts.

Pour into pan and bake 25-30 minutes, or until cake springs back when you touch the center.

9 comments:

  1. These look yummy. I love homemade snacks.

    You are most welcome to link to my pantry post. It would be an honour.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's always the problem, the good snacks are gone far too fast, and the icky ones stick around until they mold.

    I like to put stuff in the freezer right away. That way there is only a small portion out for eating, and it seems to slow down the consumption a bit.

    Funny that you mentioned hair, because I went and chopped my hair off today after posting. The dye used to be for fun, but now it's just an attempt to cover some of the grey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The date-walnut cake looks very good and it has some nutritious ingredients! This looks like a recipe I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet this is awesome w/ coffee in the am. Thanks! :D

    Here's the link to my FIF Greatest Hits post: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/04/345-year-oldy-but-goody.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great looking cake. I wish I could reach into the computer screen and get a slice. I'm going to be baking this real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. Good snacks are gone way to fast around here too! :-) Your sounds lovely. It would be wonderful with a nice cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think this would work w/left over oatmeal? I sometimes make to much and have more then what I need.

    Not so sure about the rasins though. I swear my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it would probably work well with leftover oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found a recipe online for a one egg banana bread , when I was down to one egg and did not want to run to the store. It made a very dense bread that was actually better a day or two later. I added candied walnuts and sliced it thin. I served it with a mango pineapple salsa and my DH loved it.

    ReplyDelete