5/16/08

An embarrassment of riches


"For all but the poorest Americans, there remains an embarrassment of riches when it comes to food. We are able to scorn leftovers, to buy almost every food preprepared--even salad!--to eat out daily, to rely heavily on frozen foods. Yet although we may gain marginal amounts of time by doing these things, we lose the delights of working in the kitchen, the wonders of creation, the pleasures of time spent in the honest pursuit of tradition and the nourishment of our bodies and those of our family."

--Mark Bittman, How to Cook Everything

5 comments:

  1. I love that statement. It is so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mark Bittman! His show on PBS is my favorite thing to watch when I'm home sick.

    Great statement! I think he really understands how good we have it, especially after being in so many countries where it is not so good. I loved watching him in an open air bakery. Where my grandma live it is normal for the butcher and the baker to have open air shops. Around here, it would be shut down for health code violations! But the food was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is true and so sad. I still love to cook and bake...but every once in awhile I'll want something fast foodish.

    Enjoyed the wonderful Chile pictures, a blending of the old and new.

    Have a nice weekend. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard of 'freecyclers'? These people eat only food that has been dumped by restaurants and shops, in an effort to show how wasteful we are. While I don't plan to do that, I understand the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true that is. When I need some peace I go to the kitchen. I love it there. I know that when I feel at a loss I can find peace in creating something lovely and the knowledge that I can do something more and something others don't take the time to do.

    ReplyDelete