4/7/08

Pizza rolls


Last week, when I was trying to think up ideas for dinner, Mr. Mordecai requested a week of "kid food." I thought it would be pretty boring, but I actually ended up having lots of fun.

I was inspired to make up this recipe for pizza rolls. I had just made cinnamon rolls the week before: I don't know what possessed me to combine them with pizza, but it was a hit! Red Chief hadn't eaten so much at one sitting in a long time. Leftovers travel well in lunches.

This recipe has so many possibilities. I'm already thinking of doing a taco version with a yeasted cornbread dough, or Reuben with rye dough.


Pizza Rolls
  • One recipe whole wheat (or other) bread dough, enough to make two loaves
  • 2 cups (2 8-ounce cans) tomato sauce
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • Parmesan cheese
Filling ingredients chosen from the following:
  • Pepperoni
  • 1/2 lb. ground beef or sausage
  • Grated mozzarella cheese
  • Sauteed mixed vegetables, such as peppers, onions, and tomatoes
  1. Make up your bread dough. If it needs to rise twice, let it rise once. (The recipe I linked to above needs to rise only once, so you can skip the first rise if you're using it.)
  2. Punch down dough if it's been rising, or let it rest ten minutes if you've just been kneading it. Roll it out into a rectangle about 15" by 18".
  3. Mix tomato sauce with Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Spread 1/2 cup evenly on dough, leaving an inch along one of the long sides.
  4. Spread toppings evenly over sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Roll up from long side, ending with the sauceless side to seal. Pinch well.
  5. Put remaining tomato sauce in bottom of a 9" x 13" pan. Cut rolls into 12 pieces and place on top of sauce.
  6. Let rise for specified amount of time. (The dough recipe I have linked to needs to rise for only half an hour. If you have a longer rise time on your recipe, you might want to avoid ingredients such as ground beef or sausage to avoid food poisoning. Or you could let it rise in the refrigerator overnight.)
  7. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes. Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea! The more I read your blog, the more I love it! You come up with some great things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I'll have to try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    Blessings,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these rolls -- we make them for special treats, and sometimes fill with pesto, spinach, feta and pinenuts. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a smart idea! I am going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT! IDEA!!! Wow! My son loves Pizza! I will totally have to do this. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw this post, and this looks fantastic! My family will love this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete