3/31/08

Food storage


I've finally decided to get gung-ho about food storage. We have the space now (we'll be using the master bedroom closet), so there are no more excuses. I'm ordering lots and lots of white wheat, and on Tuesday I bought thirty pounds of pasta. I thought it was quite a bit until I figured out how much of everything we will actually need: lots.

Here's a link to share that really helped me in my calculations of how much we eat and how much we need.

It feels good to make a start, and I'm excited to keep making progress.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm impressed! Entry-level homemaker, my eye! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good start on the food storage! Funny, we have decided to put more work into ours as well. We are starting with oats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Without a pantry, I haven't stocked up as much as I should.

    I agree you have definitely graduated from entry-level homemaker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband says I'm "stocking up for the war" as full cupboards make me feel comforted. Then of course I can't find a thing for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great! it is overwhelming though one thing at a time is a perfect way to start.

    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow we need a lot more than I thought. I just wish I had more room for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. white wheat? what's that? I assume you are storing the berries, not the flour...

    ReplyDelete
  8. White wheat is just a lighter type of wheat. It's still whole wheat, it just comes from a different seed. It makes lighter bread and looks and tastes closer to white flour.

    Yes, I will be storing the wheat in its whole form. Whole wheat flour doesn't last long outside of the freezer!

    ReplyDelete