3/4/08

Books to catch an eighteen-month-old's fancy

Last week I highlighted some books that Red Chief enjoyed at age one. Now I'm moving on to his current favorites.


Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss. Everyone knows this book! Lots of rhyming, rhythm, and jumping on Daddy--what more could a toddler want?



But No Elephants by Jerry Smath. This was actually my personal favorite when I was little, and now Red Chief loves it, too. It's about Grandma Tildy, who eventually ends up with a pet elephant, despite her repeated insistence of "But no elephants!"



The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey and illustrated by Gustaf Tenggren. This is the longest book, text-wise, that Red Chief will sit through, probably because it is full of great doggy pictures. It is nicely repetitive and relaxing--great for bedtime! (A bit of trivia: the illustrator here also worked on several Disney movies, including Snow White and Pinocchio.)



I Wish that I Had Duck Feet by Dr. Seuss. I wasn't familiar with this one as a child, but now Red Chief and I love it. Again, it's nicely repetitive and rhythmic, and it has funny pictures. It's fairly long, but Red Chief has never had an attention span problem with it.



Chicken Soup with Rice by Maurice Sendak. More repetition and rhythm. I guess we can see what a toddler wants! I love the pictures of the little boy in this book: he looks quite unique. Also, I love to see what the author does with chicken soup for each month of the year.


(See also: Books to catch a one-year-old's fancy. Image courtesy of Amazon.)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED the elephant books (there's one about school too)when I was little. I love going to my mom's and reading books to my kids that were read to me as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books! I have to admit that I do not like the Pokey Little Puppy. We own it and everytime my son pulls it out for me to read, I give out a little internal groan. :-)

    ReplyDelete