3/7/08

America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook



Just before I was married, I received The New Best Recipe by America's Test Kitchen for Christmas. Over the next few months, I spent hours reading, yes, actually reading it. It was amazing. Finally, someone was approaching cooking in a scientific manner. Why had I never heard of them before?

Anyway, I loved the book, but the recipes were not very flexible, and they didn't always turn out for me. I liked the idea behind them, though.

Two years later, Christmas. I receive America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. Think Betty Crocker meets The New Best Recipe. This book is amazing! Everything I have tried from it has worked beautifully. It is designed for quicker access than The New Best Recipe, and it has a wider variety of everyday recipes. Best of all, the recipes have turned out to be more forgiving of substitutions. I love it!

One of my favorites from this book is Tortilla Soup. Except that my recipe isn't really from the book anymore; I have adapted it beyond recognition. My version is simpler and more economical. This is a great spicy chicken soup when you have a cold! I like to serve it with fresh cornbread.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 quarts chicken broth
1 onion, chopped
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 head garlic, minced
1/2 pound chicken, cooked and shredded or chopped
1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes (or 2 cups fresh chopped tomatoes)
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped

Dump everything except the lime juice and cilantro in a pot. Simmer until onion is tender and flavors have mingled, about 45 minutes. Add lime juice and cilantro.

Serve with your choice of the following:
Crushed tortilla chips
Chopped avocado
Chopped fresh tomato
Chopped green onion
Shredded cheese
Sour cream

19 comments:

  1. This sounds perfect! A must try to be sure! Thank you and have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried their magazine, Cook's Country? I have been subscribing for a couple of years and have found more recipes to try than we ever get around to trying. I also have The New Best Recipe and love it. I hadn't heard of the other book... and would love to get a copy of their light recipes and their 30 minute recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY! I'm always on the lookout for a good Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe for my Hub. I might have to give this one a try!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cookbooks! That recipe looks delicious (I'm sooo ready for lunch right now-ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! My mouth is watering thinking of this soup. I want to make it now this weekend. It's supposed to rain all weekend so tortilla soup will be perfect! Thanks for sharing!
    -Karoline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man....I'm making Italian Veggie soup for dinner...but this tortilla soup would have been much, much better.

    Have a great weekend, hope you can drop by my show n tell if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like chicken tortilla soup. Love it with tortilla chips on top.
    I like your choice of other accompaniments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am into my second Betty Crocker Cookbook. Completely wore out the first one. They are great.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. "America's Test Kitchen" runs on public television a few times a week, at least around here. Check your schedule--the show is really a lot of fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  11. America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook is on my wish list! I went a little cookbook crazy a few months back so I am on a self-imposed cook book purchasing ban. The really bad news is that the library does not have it so I can't even check it out. A few more months and maybe I'll go ahead and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow. You are quite a cook. I specialize in meals with less than 6 ingredients. I could blame my hubby for this--he's never home for dinner.

    BTW, I just wanted to say HI! I found you on LDS women bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'd better not let my daughter see this... she'll be jealous;-)

    i can't wait to try this one out!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter and I have a taco soup we like too----I love soup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love watching America's Test Kitchen on PBS! I might have to try this recipe. I loved Tortilla Soup when I was in Mexico, but haven't found anything in the States that has matched the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was amazing. I highly recommend it. Use plenty of cilantro and avocado (added as you serve).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE THAT SOUP AND I MAKE IT ALL THE TIME...THE PROBLEM IS I LOST THE PAGE WITH THE RECIPE AND THE RECIPE YOU HAVE IS WRONG! :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love America's Test KItchen and I get their magazine Cook's Illustrated… I've learned the most about cooking from them too.

    ReplyDelete