2/29/08

Vintage cookies: coco-mints


Our Best Cooky Recipes was written by Martha Logan and published by Swift & Company in 1962. I received it from my grandmother, and like her others, it has her charming notes in it. In case you can't tell from the picture, the cover is silver. I love the floating cookies.


Chocolate and mint is always popular at our house. I made the dough, and Mr. Mordecai baked and assembled them. I think they taste even better because he did all the hard work! I'll write the recipe as printed, down to the cute, capitalized subtitle, with my comments in italics.

Coco-Mints
(A Soft Mint Filling Between Crisp Refrigerator Cookies)
Yield: 7 dozen cookies (It made more like 2 dozen sandwiches for us after all the dough we ate.)

1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) Swift's Brookfield Butter
1 cup sugar
1 Swift's Brookfield Egg
2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Sift flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and cocoa together. Add with milk and vanilla. Shape the dough into long rolls, 1-inch in diameter. (I made mine thicker.) Wrap each roll in waxed paper. Chill. Cut chilled rolls into 1/8-inch slices. Bake on baking sheet in a slow oven (325 degrees F.) for 10 minutes. Remove from baking sheet while warm. When cooled, put cookies together, sandwich style, with Mint Filling.

Mint Filling

3 tablespoons Swift's Brookfield Butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
4 to 5 drops mint flavoring
Green food coloring

Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth and creamy. (We had to add more powdered sugar.)

28 comments:

  1. Oooh, these look wonderful! I love the pictures you included.

    Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just loving seeing these vintage cookbooks. I'm going to have to scour some antique/thrift stores for some. Those cookies look great too. My husband loves chocolate & mint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to write down the recipe for mint filling. I don't have one and I am a fan of mint too! Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet it is full of wonderful recipes. Thanks for sharing this one.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm drooling at the mouth!!! Quick...call the Paramedics. And please...make sure they have some of those cookies of yours with them for me!!

    My S n T is shared. If you haven't dropped by, I sure hope you can stop and say "Howdy Do!".

    Happy Weekend to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want that book, and the cookies look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I'll be making these cookies this weekend! They look and sound wonderful!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sounds wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, just love the recipe...I also love old cookbooks. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. as soon as I saw the title of your recipe i knew i had to visit, my blog buddy loves chocolate and mint - i can't wait to share it with her. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Cocoa mints look and sound wonderful! Thanks bunches

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great--but I am gluten free--all you guys with posts on breads, cakes,cookies, UGH!!! What am I gonna do!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a vintage cookbook fan... I love this! I also love how cookie was spelled. All of my Western Family Magazines from the 50's spell it cooky. Guess I should visit the dictionary and find out when the spelling was changed. (I'm such a geek). Glad you had the Mr's help on baking and assembling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cookies, chocolate and mint - great combinations! Love all the antique touches all over your blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok..I'm going to gain 20 lbs if I keep looking at your blog and trying recipes! ha-ha! These look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look great! There is something so wonderful about the combination of chocolate and mint!

    Thanks for the tip on what variety of cookie works best w/whole-wheat flour. That does make sense - I don't want to give up to early in the game. I want to have tasty treats that are good for my family too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are feeding my addiction to vintage cookbooks! I love them! Thanks for posting this yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing--I love vintage cookbooks, too.
    I also posted on a chocolate dessert today:) Feel free to drop by if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the vintage cookbook and recipe. Your cookies look so good!
    I love chocolate and mint. I'm just going to have to mix up a batch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your vintage cook-booklet. I collect ones from Spry. Aunt Jenny is so "campy" & funny. I probably have about 10 of them. I remember my Mom cooking with Crisco. Cookies today just don't taste quite the same... bet it's the Crisco!

    You can pop on over to my show & tell at http://anapronaday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these old recipe
    books, but sometimes it
    is hard to find some of
    the old ingredients.
    I had a hard time finding
    the old Dream Whip for a
    frozen dessert. Does any
    one else have that problem?
    Great looking cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jewelgirl,
    If I see odd ingredients, I usually just skip that recipe or look up a substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wooo hooo.... girlie, these look so good! we'll be making these very soon, maybe even today:-)


    oh, and i am *not* jealous of that cookbook, nope not one single bit jealous...

    yeah...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love vintage cookbooks. These cookies sound absolutely wonderful. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look really good. I have a recipe for what we call chocolate cream cushions that look similar only the filling is a marshmallow filling instead of mint. I will try these soon with my little cookie baker, my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  26. ooo, thanks so much for sharing these! I think I'll make them for our family luncheon this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just made these wonderful cookies. My family loved them. I will be making them again soon. Thank you for sharing. Amy (TroyNY))

    ReplyDelete