2/5/08

Peanut butter bars


I received this recipe from a church youth leader when I was a teenager. It reminds me of the peanut butter bars the lunch ladies used to pack in our sack lunches for field trips in elementary school. I have to make it every few months or else I miss it.

Peanut Butter Bars

Cookie Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups butter
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
  • 3 cups flour (whole wheat works well)
  • 3 cups rolled oats (regular or quick)
Frosting Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup cocoa
  • 5 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup milk
Cookie Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cream butter and sugars. Add vanilla, eggs, salt, baking soda, and peanut butter.
  3. Add flour and oats.
  4. Spread in 1 ungreased cookie sheet (jelly roll size) and 1 9x13 pan, or in 3 9x13 pans. Bake 20 minutes; let cool completely.
Frosting Instructions
  1. Melt butter. Add cocoa and powdered sugar.
  2. Add vanilla and milk. Add more powdered sugar or milk if necessary.

10 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! I love chocolate and peanut butter. I came over from LDS Blogging Women by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these like the ones they use to make in elementary school? I always loved those. Sometimes I have school lunch just for that. I am going to have to try these...proabably every day this week! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh if these are like the ones the school used to make I'am sooo in trouble!! My waistline will never forgive me,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMmm....two of my favorite flavors put together, thank you for the recipe! Also, thank you for entering my giveaway and your sweet comment!
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum, yum! Those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PB and chocolate is such an inspired combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoops, I signed in under the wrong account! I thought something looked funny! The comment above was from me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was having a craving for these and did a google search for a recipe. How funny that it found your blog! The world wide web just keeps getting smaller and smaller. It probably was reading about them here that started my craving in the first place, actually. I just couldn't remember what started it all. Off to do some baking.....(Thanks for the recipe!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have these in the oven right now ~ just couldn't resist! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They were wonderful! I cut the recipe in half and used just one 9x13 pan and they turned out great! Thanks for sharing...I'll be making them again!

    ReplyDelete