A few months after Red Chief was born, I made some for my sister-in-law's bridal shower. Her grandmother, always outspoken, asked loudly, "What happened to those coffee cakes?" Mr. Mordecai still chuckles over that story. And we still enjoy the scones.
- 1¾ cup flour
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon poppyseed
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Add additional milk if necessary.
- Knead dough on floured surface until combined.
- Pat into 8” circle on ungreased baking sheet. Cut into 8 wedges with floured knife. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 15-20 minutes. Separate wedges. Glaze if desired.