2/26/08

Lemon-poppyseed scones

Lemon-poppyseed scones is one of my most requested recipes. I make them often for gatherings because they always turn out well.

A few months after Red Chief was born, I made some for my sister-in-law's bridal shower. Her grandmother, always outspoken, asked loudly, "What happened to those coffee cakes?" Mr. Mordecai still chuckles over that story. And we still enjoy the scones.

Lemon-Poppyseed Scones

Ingredients
  • 1¾ cup flour
  • ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ⅓ cup butter
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • ¼ teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 teaspoon lemon extract
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 tablespoon poppyseed
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture looks like fine crumbs.
  3. Stir in remaining ingredients. Add additional milk if necessary.
  4. Knead dough on floured surface until combined.
  5. Pat into 8” circle on ungreased baking sheet. Cut into 8 wedges with floured knife. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
  6. Bake 15-20 minutes. Separate wedges. Glaze if desired.

4 comments:

  1. Those sound yummy, we just made lemon poppy seed muffins for lunch so I am sure the scones would be a big hit too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great - and I actually have those ingredients on hand! Have you ever tried it with whole wheat flour?? Just wondering if that would work or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edi, I haven't tried it with whole wheat flour. I would guess that it would come out just fine, but that it would taste more wheaty and less lemony. Maybe a third? Or white whole wheat pastry flour. That's where I would start. Let me know if you try it.

    ReplyDelete