1/15/08

How to use a citrus reamer


Mr. Mordecai gave me this beautiful citrus reamer for Christmas. I love it! It is so much more efficient than anything else I've used. You can hold your fruit at any level and angle you like, unlike my old juicer, which required me to grind the fruit on top of it parallel to the counter, which was quite uncomfortable.

All you have to do is cut the fruit in half and jam the pointy end of reamer into the middle of the fruit. Then twist the reamer and fruit against each other while squeezing the fruit.

One caveat: lots of pulp and the seeds come out too, so you might want to strain the juice before using. For me, this is a small price to pay for the superior comfort and efficiency. I squeezed oranges for Christmas morning juice with it and my hands didn't even get tired: a small miracle for someone like me who has experienced hand problems.

(Photo from Williams-Sonoma.)

5 comments:

  1. I have always wanted one of those. I know that Ina uses that on Barefoot Contessa and I thought it was such a handy little gadget.

    I have the cheap plastic kind that fits on top of a glass bowl. I got it for a quarter, but I am on the lookout for one of these the next time I am thrifting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that. I have been thinking about getting a juicer, but I have a feeling that would work and be a whole lot cheaper. I am willing to do the work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of those, and I just love it. It's especially great for limes, which are really hard to squeeze for the most juice. Hey, if ya wanna have guacamole, ya gotta have limes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had one of these - I will have to keep my eye out for one! Sounds great. I would love the extra pulp - but the seeds...? Thanks for the great tip.

    Blessings,
    ~Martie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a tea strainer over a mason type jar for easy clean up and storage.

    Wide mouth Glass Jars are giving way to plastic, so look for acidic products such as pickle or tomato sauce - they come in glass.

    ReplyDelete