12/27/07

Recipe make-over: Grape-Nuts muffins


Click to see full-size image.


My husband and I were talking about our memories of Grape-Nuts a few weeks ago at breakfast. We both remembered them as being rather odd, and we thought it might be nice to try them again and see what we thought of them now that we are grown-ups.

Well, we thought they were pretty yucky—in fact, we didn't even want to finish our bowls, and we're not really particularly picky eaters. So here we are, with a box of Grape-Nuts that we don't want to eat. Can I throw it away? Oh, no.

I tried this recipe for Grape-Nuts Muffins, and we really liked it. However, in accordance with my nutrition goals, I gave it a make-over the next time we tried it. Now it tastes great and is even better for us.

———

Whole-Grain Grape-Nuts Muffins

1 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
1 cup skim milk
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons flax meal (optional, will make heavier muffins)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare 15 muffin cups. Combine Grape-Nuts and milk in large bowl; let sit for about five minutes. Add egg, applesauce, sugar, oil, cinnamon, vanilla, baking powder, and salt; mix well. Stir in whole wheat flour and flax meal, if using. Stir in raisins, if using. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 17-21 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Wait five minutes before removing from muffin cups.

13 comments:

  1. I never thought of making muffins out of grape-nuts. There is only one grape-nut eater in our family and it's not me...it's like eating pebbles.

    Your recipe sounds great! We tend to have muffins more often than cake or cupcakes, and ones that are low-fat w/applesauce...my kind of recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good. I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made these - very good! I used currants since I had no raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to talk to you about your beliefs and how you came to it.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Becky. I'd love to chat sometime. Feel free to contact me through the email address on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that ad... absolutely delightful... thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your recipe, and luved it! We use Kashi whole grain nuggets, like grape-nuts, but better on the whole food scale. Thanks for a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK! I made these this morning because I have 2 boxes of grape nuts that I do not want to eat! Only......I tripled the batch making 48 muffins. Left out the applesauce and oil, and replaced it with a 48 oz can of pumpkin. and added a few teaspoons of clove and ginger! Talk about some healthy muffins! (nevermind that i sprinkled the top with brown sugar and cinnamon!) Thank you for your recipe! Think next time i will add some shredded carrots as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrea Larson7/25/12, 10:30 AM

    These are baking in the oven at the moment. I'm so excited to try this recipe. I actually LOVE Grape Nuts mixed with skim milk and blueberries for breakfast... and a teaspoon of Truvia. I've been wanting to make Grape Nut muffins for quite some time now. I think these will be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Henne in South Carolina9/4/12, 6:40 PM

    Made this the Un-healthy way--had no wheat flour--used soft winter wheat ( White Lily )...added raisins, dried cranberries, and pecans. Also added 2 Tbl. butter--yep butter. Unsalted Kerry Irish Butter. I baked in Jumbo muffin cups-filled a tiny bit more than 3/4 full and had great muffin tops. Let cool after baking 15-18 minutes on racks--these are just the best! Wanted to freeze a few but ended up giving to friends that are now calling for recipe. OH--Oven temp was 375 degress--but I believe all ovens are different.
    Thank you SO much !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this recipe! Used pumpkin from my jack-o-lantern and the muffins are amazing! Definitely will make these again experimenting with different stuff. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I woke up this morning wanting to make muffins but I wanted some different. I saw grape nuts in my cabinets and googled that and found your recipe. I rarely make muffins from scratch because here in Colorado (mile high) they just don't turn out right. These did! But I did of course make a few adjustments:

    I used Silk iced Mocha instead of skim milk. YUM!
    I didn't have any jars of applesauce but I had one snack cup of Cinnamon applesauce so I used that PLUS that same container with canola oil. I just don't like muffins not made with oil. But I do like cutting back. I did not add any additional cinnamon.

    I increased flour slightly. Here again, I'm not as strict as you. I use white cup white (unbleached flour) and 2/3 cup whole wheat.
    I left the baking soda at one tablespoon. If things rise too quickly at high elevation they fall quickly. This estimate was spot on.

    I loved the end result. Somewhat like bran muffins but moister (thanks to oil!) Not too dense. Next time I think I'll add some finely diced fresh apple to give it a bit more texture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I just noticed you did have oil but only a tablespoon. I'm glad I increased mine to about 1/3 cup (given that I increased the flour to work with the amount of baking soda.) Things tend to get dry at high altitude.

    ReplyDelete