12/28/07

Midnight reading and weird fruit


We have decided to start a family tradition this year: an annual New Year's Eve read-a-thon. We'll be reading until midnight. Or maybe longer, if we pick good books. Snacks will be "weird fruit": everything abnormal that the grocery store has to offer. Asian pear, persimmon, miniature bananas, and grapples are what I found today. The grocery store in the last area we lived in had weirder and more varied offerings, but we'll take what we can get. I'll post more on the weird fruit later.

On New Year's Day, we will continue a tradition that started in my family several years ago: predictions. Each year, we write down several guesses about things that will happen in the next year--who will marry, who will become president . . . pretty much anything is fair game. Then we put the predictions away with the Christmas decorations and read them next year. It is so much fun to see what we think will happen compared with what really does!

How do you celebrate the new year?

3 comments:

  1. weird fruit and reading through midnight. now that's an idea i hadn't thought of! :o)

    we're usually asleep by 10 on new years. yes, we're exciting types. real party animals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! I'm going to tuck this away in my treasure chest for when I have a little one. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your ideas of weird fruit and reading til midnight - combining 2 of my favorite things.

    But I can barely stay up til 10 pm on a good night - let alone stay up until midnight!

    I guess if something exciting was going on I could do it - but as I've become older I've realized I'd rather sleep.

    No plans here - probably New Years Day, since my dh will be home, we'll go do something - maybe a walk at the nature preserve or a hike or something. I just haven't put much thought into it - I better start thinking.

    ReplyDelete