12/7/07

Chicken adobo soup

Chicken adobo soup is my favorite soup of the moment. I eat far too much whenever I make it. Good thing it's healthy! This recipe originally came from the Mayo Clinic Cookbook, which I love but tragically don't own, but I have made several changes: less fat (pretty impressive considering its origin), cheaper ingredients (Chinese cabbage instead of baby bok choy and white vinegar instead of rice), and more flavor (way more garlic and some ginger). I've also greatly simplified the directions. Just throw everything in the pot and forget about it: that's my motto.

This recipe calls for a lot of garlic! There is no need to cut it up tiny since the flavor dissipates in the soup. If you prefer your garlic small, a mini food processor works well for large quantities. Don't forget to make some bread to go with your soup!


Chicken Adobo Soup

⅓ cup soy sauce
⅓ cup white vinegar
½ head garlic, sliced, chopped, or pressed
1 bay leaf
1 onion, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
1½ cups shredded or diced chicken (cooked or uncooked)
½ cup small pasta or rice
½ head Chinese cabbage, chopped
¼ - ½ teaspoon ground ginger
several grinds of black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for 30-60 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender and the chicken is cooked through. If you're picky about your pasta being overcooked, you can add it closer to serving time. Serves 4.

1 comment:

  1. hello


    Just saying hello while I read through the posts


    hopefully this is just what im looking for looks like i have a lot to read.

    ReplyDelete