12/7/07

100% whole wheat bread


Can I just say how excited I am finally to have the recipe? I've tried many, many whole wheat bread recipes since I was married three years ago, and this is the one.

I feel kind of sheepish, actually. I tried recipes from cookbooks. I tried recipes from the internet. But this recipe, the one I've been waiting for, came from my own mother. Why did I never think to ask her? Well, lesson learned. Next time I need something, I'm going to my mom first!

While looking for the perfect recipe, I've had three requirements: 100% whole wheat, good taste, and light texture. This recipe has all three. But it's even better: it uses all pantry ingredients; it needs to rise only 30 minutes; and beginning to end, it takes only 75 minutes. Too good to be true? It should be, but it's not. Enjoy.


100% Whole Wheat Bread

1 2/3 cups very warm water
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon instant yeast
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup instant potato flakes
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/3 - 2 cups additional whole wheat flour

Combine first 3 ingredients, then slowly add oil, honey, salt, potato flakes, and lemon juice, mixing as you go. Add remaining flour a little at a time until the texture is right. Knead about 10 minutes (I use my KitchenAid). Shape into two loaves and place in two greased 8" loaf pans. Let rise until double, about 30 minutes. (I put them on top of the stove and preheated the oven at the same time.) Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes. Cool on rack. For a softer crust, cover the loaves with a towel as they cool.

6 comments:

  1. I'm almost 50 and am still looking for *the one*. I'm trying your (mother's) recipe in hopes it's *the one*. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! With all the great resources we have we often forget our moms!

    This recipe sounds so yummy, I might have to borrow it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you! T've been looking for "the one", too. Hopefully this will be it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a great recipe. I'm going to try it out. thanks for sharin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will give this a shot. Thanks for posting the recipe. I have never seen a bread recipe with lemon juice in it before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I will have to give this a try in my bread machine!!

    ReplyDelete