11/12/07

Sneaking in whole grains

I would love to feed my family nothing but whole grains. This is a goal that I can't realize all at once, but I am working toward it. I hope to purchase a grain mill soon which will really help things out. I also need to establish a better baking schedule. (Kitchen work is tricky lately with a fifteen-month-old who just figured out how to open the oven.)

Meanwhile, I am slowly working on finding out how much whole wheat flour our favorite recipes will accept without significantly altering their taste and texture. For example, our favorite ginger cookies actually taste better with all whole wheat flour, but the peanut butter chocolate chip cookies can take only 1/3 to 1/2 before they get crumbly.
All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life . . . All grain is good for the food of man. --D&C 89:14, 16

No comments:

Post a Comment