11/10/07

Roasted apple sauce





Hmm. Two 68-cent five-pound bags of apples. A new, huge $5 roasting pan. A 25-cent copy of Martha Stewart Living (November 1998) from a library sale with a recipe for Roasted Applesauce. Some extra freezer space.

I gave this recipe a test run last week in a smaller quantity. I love the flavor the roasted apples take on. Roasting is so much simpler than boiling. Just throw the prepared apples in the oven and forget about them: no nutrients lost to boiling, no worry about the water boiling off. I couldn't help changing the recipe, both to make it simpler and to make it work with ten pounds of apples instead of just six apples. Here's what I did.

Roasted Apple Sauce

10 pounds apples, mixed varieties
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 heaping tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash your apples, core them, and cut them into eighths. Toss in a large roasting pan with remaining ingredients. Bake for 45 minutes, or until very soft. Remove from oven and put apples and liquid through food mill (a bowl with a non-slip bottom is convenient). If you don't have a food mill, peel the apples before roasting and pulverize in batches in the food processor. Add more cinnamon and sugar to taste, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. I attempted to post a comment but blogger was being stubborn so I'm assuming my comment didn't make it to you. Hmpfh. I'll try again. ;o)

    You have a beautiful blog - found it via AnnaS. Thank you for the recipe for roasted apple sauce. I would have never thought of that!

    I'll visit again and will be adding your blog to my 'sweet friends' list. Hope that's all right. :o)

    Blessings to you this day.

    ReplyDelete