11/15/07

Quilt top



I can't believe I actually finished it! A quilt top for my son. I was hoping but not expecting to finish it before Thanksgiving so my mom can help me assemble and tie the quilt when we visit, time allowing. It's not very straight and far from perfect, but it's my first try and I'm fairly proud of it.

I'm also happy that so far I have only spent $2 on this quilt (unless you count the $4 piece of cloth that I bought and then decided didn't match). Here's what I used:
  • Cloth from my stash
  • Cloth from my mother's, mother-in-law's, and grandmother-in-law's stashes
  • My brother's old curtains
  • My grandmother's old pillowcase (also used for the apron)
  • Sheets free from Craigslist (one will be the backing)
  • A sheet from my grandmother-in-law
  • A thrifted sheet ($2)
  • Two of my husband's kindly sacrificed old shirts, worn around the collar
I didn't collect all that with this quilt in mind, but it worked. I will still need to buy the batting and the yarn, but I think that all in all, this worked out well. We will be ready when my son outgrows his crib.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I like it! Good job, it looks great to me! I would never guess that it was a "first time" quilt, your seams look good in the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! That's going to be one well-loved quilt with a lot of good memories attached to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sense of accomplishment you must have now that you have completed the piecing. As a novice quilter myself, I find that it's harder for me to get it all straight and the points to match than I thought it would be But, you've done a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete