11/9/07

How to amuse a one-year-old

This morning when I read this, I sympathized. We're planning a five-hour car trip for Thanksgiving, and my fifteen-month-old son is going to need some amusements. I've also felt the last few days that I'm at the end of my ideas for fun things to do, even on normal days. So, in hopes that it will spark more ideas, I offer two lists:

Ideas for car amusements
  • Little boxes of cereal in fun shapes and varieties. Healthy, maybe not. Fun, yes. Especially if he gets to feed himself straight out of the box.
  • Fruit by the Foot. Again, not too healthy, but a great, sticky distraction. I think the new minis are just perfect.
  • A mini, unbreakable snow globe. I just found an amazingly durable, small plastic snow globe secondhand, which I have been looking for for a long time.
  • Pat the Bunny. Unfortunately my son destroyed his copy: out of love, not malice.
  • Stickers, to be taken away before they are eaten.
  • Slinky. I think this one speaks for itself.
  • Anything novel. I've been saving small toys for the past month so he will have something he hasn't seen before.

Ideas for general amusements
  • Make a tent.
  • Play ball.
  • Visit the library.
  • Make some edible play dough.
  • Read together.
  • Play at the park.
  • Play with friends.
  • Color.
  • Get out the pots and pans.
  • Go for a walk.
Any more ideas?


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

    It sounds like you already have a great list going.

    When we took car trips with our under 2 children it wasn't usually very stressful. They actually slept a lot. You could try to plan it so that it falls around a long nap and then two or so hours are taken care of.

    My kids liked (like) music going in the car. :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete